During his four decades as a family law attorney, John built a solid reputation for smart and practical representation and an unwavering focus on achieving client objectives. On January 1, 2019, John started a new phase in his career when he began an of-counsel position with the firm. He now concentrates his practice on mediating family law disputes.
When he was representing clients, John tirelessly worked to improve the overall practice of family law in Allen County. In recognition of these and other efforts, the Family and Juvenile Law Section of the Indiana State Bar Association honored John with its 2008 Gail Phelps Award, the highest honor given by that organization. This annual award recognizes a highly competent attorney who has worked to elevate the standards of professionalism in the area of family law by demonstrating exceptional service to the profession, raising the level of professionalism and civility in domestic relations matters, and exhibiting high moral character and ethical standards. John was the first recipient of this award in northern Indiana.
John was also instrumental in establishing Collaborative and Cooperative Divorce in Allen County. This is a forward-thinking approach to conflict resolution that focuses on peaceful, fair solutions, minimizes emotional casualties, and preserves dignity for both parties.
John received the Allen County Bar Association’s 2007 Niemann Citation for Excellence and Professionalism and is routinely included in lists of “The Best Lawyers in America” and “Indiana Super Lawyers”. He served for many years on the Executive Committee of the Allen County Bar Association’s Family Law Section and formerly chaired that committee.
He remains a member of the Indiana State Bar Association.
John’s civic contributions span a wide range from arts and education to law related organizations. A few of his positions include:
- Allen County Bar Foundation, past board member
- Allen County Bar Association, past board member
- Concordia Lutheran High School Educational Foundation, current board member
- Fort Wayne Municipal Building Corp., current board member
- Collaborative Family Law Solutions, past president
- Citizen Advisory Board, Allen County Court Appointed Special Advocate ("CASA") Program, past president and board member
- Fort Wayne Museum of Art, past president and board member
- Allen Circuit and Superior Courts Mediation Day program, past chair
- Allen County Judicial Nominating Committee, past member
- State of Indiana Child Custody and Support Advisory Committee, past member
- Curriculum Opportunities and Resources for Educators, Inc, ("CORE"), past president
- Stop Child Abuse and Neglect ("SCAN"), past board member
- Fort Wayne Police Department Merit Board, current chair and member
Admitted to Indiana State Bar – 1978
U.S. District Courts for Indiana (Northern & Southern)